As early as 1965, a group of medical engineers headed by Prof. G. Francini met to formally organise the Italian Electronic Group applied to Medicine and Biology in affiliation to the International Federation of Medical and Biological Engineering (I.F.M.B.E.).
Later, in 1967, the constitution of the Association was approved with the name “Associazione Italiana di Ingegneria Medica e Biologica” (A.I.I.M.B.). It had started with 76 members of medical engineers, physicist and physicians all over Italy. At present it has about 200 limited members. Its objective are scientific informative and educational with the specific aims of encouraging researches, spreading scientific information, applying knowledge and promoting collaboration with other specific groups.
The A.I.I.M.B. has two Working Groups formed since 1983:
– WG1 : Clinical Engineering (Chairman: Dr. Ing. Diego Bravar – Trieste)
– WG2 : Biomechanics (Chairman: Prof. Tommaso Leo – Ancona)
The A.I.I.M.B. has cooperation with different Italian association such as:
– Gruppo Italiano di Ultrasonologia Vascolare – GIUV
– Società Italiana Reti Neuroniche
– Associazione Italiana di Fisica Biomedica – AIFB
– Sezione Italiana dell’International Society of Electrophysiological Kinesiology – ISEK
The Association had participated and organised many scientific activities and conferences.